Sunday, October 7, 2012

Sunday Spotlight: Juli Raja!

Today I am excited to feature my friend and fellow designer, Juli Raja, and her beautiful work! Her line, juli raja hand built, was founded in 2008 and is based on the handwoven, block printed textiles that are created by her family's company in Kolkata, India. I am particularly obsessed with her colorful, double-sided silk scarves--because the weavers her family works with in India only produce small batches of fabric, each print is a limited edition that she will only order once. All of her scarves are one of a kind, which means that she never duplicates a color combination It's something that I both love and hate--I love it because it means each scarf is special and unique, but I hate that once a scarf is sold, I will never get to see the same combination again!

Today is the first cold day of the season here in NYC, and I am currently wearing a scarf that was lent to me by Juli. I don't have a picture of it, but it's as beautiful as it is warm! Every time I put on one of her scarves, I'm amazed all over again by how warm they are. I somehow never realized how cozy and insulating silk can be--especially now that my hair is short, my neck really does need something to keep out the cold. If only she made gloves and hats too....then I would be perfectly cozy and content here at the store all winter! If you want to read more about Juli and her company, you can click HERE. That's a picture of her on the right, wearing one of her newest scarves! And of course, you can come see her and her boutique here at the store--12 Lions Studio at 684 Broadway & Great Jones. I will be here too, probably also wearing one of her scarves! So check out Juli, and have a great Sunday night everyone!! :)




No comments:

Post a Comment