Tuesday, October 11, 2011

the creation of a jewelry booth

This has been a big week!  My etsy website is finally launched--which I am super excited about--and to top everything off, I am participating in my first craft fair this weekend!  Well, I don't actually know if "craft fair" is the right term....I'm going to be selling at a weekend indoor event called The Market NYC, and I'm sure there is some better/fancier term that someone will probably correct me on, but you get the point!

Anyway.  I am actually feeling a little bit intimidated about coming up with a design for--and then actually managing to set up--my jewelry booth.  They're providing the table/chairs (thank god--this is NYC after all and I was really hoping not to have to purchase a folding table, drag it crosstown, and then try to find a place for it in my tiny apartment afterwards!), but I've still got to provide, obviously, the jewelry, and come up with some way to display it attractively that is both affordable and doesn't take up much space (again, the tiny apartment).  I mean, I'm a crafty person, and I like DIY projects.  Also, I did actually come up with a pretty basic, cool display once before for a yard sale my boyfriend had in Miami.  Which kind of counts, although I didn't end up making any sales, and somebody actually stole a pair of earrings while I wasn't looking.  I don't really understand who goes to yard sales to steal things (!), but yeah, I managed to make negative sales that day.  Which hopefully will not happen on Saturday!!

I actually did find a lot of creative, inspiring display ideas online the other day with just a simple google search, but a lot of them either had some wall space for hanging/leaning (I won't) or are much larger (my total square footage is 7' x 5').  So I've got some problems to solve, and three days to do it!  In addition to all the random thoughts I keep having, like what if I have to pee and I don't have someone else there?  Am I allowed to eat lunch at my booth?  I am definitely not emailing that list of questions to the people at The Market :)  

A few friends have offered to spend some time with me at my booth on Saturday, so hopefully I will be covered for all my bathroom and theft-prevention needs.  I know that I can't plan for everything, and I'm sure I will mess something up this Saturday.  But it will be a learning experience!  And I know that worst case scenario, I can lay the pieces flat on the table, and it won't be the end of the world.  Maybe I will even make some sales :)

Anyone have any interesting advice/tips/ideas for a first-timer like me???

No comments:

Post a Comment