Tuesday, October 11, 2011

the first one!

This is the first post, which is a little intimidating.  I guess a good place to start is with who I am, what I do & what you can (maybe) expect from this blog!
My name is Eileen, I'm 27, & I make jewelry (pretty obviously, i think, my new jewelry-making business is called imprint by eileen!).  My background is in theater--I moved here to NYC in 2006 to do an internship at Juilliard & try to work full time in theater.  Since then, I've worked as a lighting designer, producer, & technician all around the city.  Long story short, I got laid off from my full-time theater job in June, & it's the first time I've had a "break" from theater, long enough to stop and think about what I want to (& can & should) do.
imprint by eileen is the result of this break--& actually, I think, a sort of culmination of years of learning & honing an array of technical skills.  As I have happily discovered, there is lots of sawing, drilling, & hammering in jewelry!  I mean, it's all working with your hands.  And I certainly know how to work with my hands.
I hope that I just keep finding ways to keep learning (and not be afraid to test out new skills/ideas, possibly even publicly) & also to keep creating interesting things & to keep meeting interesting people.
Here on the blog I'll be doing some tutorials & also featuring some interesting artists & fellow jewelry designers that I come across.  If you are an artist or a jewelry designer, I'd love to meet you & will hopefully have a chance to check out your work.
In a nutshell.....This blog will be partly about the journey of creating a business, partly about interesting people, products & techniques, & part of it I will make up along the way.  And hopefully you will come along for the ride!
Thanks so much for being here for the first post.

No comments:

Post a Comment