Sunday, October 30, 2011

Wedding jewelry, sea glass from Bermuda...and some snow

My boy and I just got back home to New York City from a very snowy wedding weekend in Massachusetts! My poor parents are still driving themselves home to North Carolina, trying to escape the cold. We would have stayed in Sturbridge another night, but the power went out at the hotel last night just as we were coming home from dinner. We called around to other hotels, but everything was either booked or had no power. So we all slept with at least four blankets piled up on our beds, and left as soon as we could drag ourselves out of bed this morning. It was a lot of fun though--definitely a very memorable trip! As a transplanted southerner, I still think that snow is lots of fun, which almost everyone else in New York City vehemently disagrees with. And I loved seeing snow over the weekend, but I know it wasn't fun for everyone--I hope that everyone in Massachusetts is doing well, and is keeping warm tonight!

Luckily, the wedding happened before the snow, although it was still really, really cold. Here is a picture of the jewelry I ended up wearing (albeit not a very good one!). About ten million pictures were taken at that wedding, but somehow none were of me--or at least, I haven't found them yet! As you can see, the gold did not end up happening. Neither did the exact outfit I had picked out beforehand. It was just too cold for my southern transplant blood! And, this pendant just looked too good with my black dress (and giant black boots). Which although I don't have a picture of, I'm sure you can imagine. This is one of my vintage watercolor soldered pendants, and instead of listing it on my etsy site, I decided to selfishly keep it for myself for occasions such as this. It just had to be worn--it was absolutely perfect with the rest of my outfit. I will make up for it by wearing something special and gold later on this week. I was glad that I wore this though--I got a lot of compliments on it, and I gave out some business cards, which I think is always a good thing. My mom suggested that I try to expand my line of soldered pendants to include ones that can be customized with names, dates, or specific images. It's a great idea, and I think I will at least definitely be making something like that for a few of my friends for the holidays.

And now, about that sea glass!

One of the most fun things about the wedding was seeing all of the extended family that I rarely get to see. I completely forgot that my aunt is an amazing stained glass artist, and she very generously gave me lots of glass from her collection. I would have posted pictures from her wonderful basement studio, or of the beautiful piece she is currently working on, but the power was out, so we spent time in her studio with a small, sketchy lantern, which was not at all conducive to photos. One of the coolest things she gave me was a large bag of sea glass and pottery shards that she and my uncle found along the coast of Bermuda. You can see some of it in the picture--it's on the top left. The pieces are such different shapes, sizes, and colors--I really am astounded at how much they found. I absolutely cannot wait to wire wrap and solder some of the pieces. It was like Christmas morning as a kid--I packed my parents' trunk (and now, our tiny apartment) full with all the goodies that she gave me. I'm going to go back for another visit in a couple of weeks when the power is on--my aunt offered to teach me how to cut glass, and then give me some sheets of glass and cutting tools to take back to the city. Needless to say, I am thrilled and can't wait to go back. The glass that she works with is beautiful, and I'm dying to use some of it in designs. And, despite my best efforts, I just can't quite figure out how to successfully cut any kind of glass. So I've got a lot to learn! I am sure that I will be posting updates on my glass cutting for sure....hopefully there will be pictures of some successful designs very soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment