Tuesday, February 21, 2012

kicked out

I went to Chelsea today to go to an accessories trade show. Or rather, I tried to. I was excited about it too, because after looking over the website, I was convinced the show was open to the general public (not just to buyers). Because, of course, I'm not a buyer. But when I got over there, as soon as they realized I wasn't a buyer, they asked me to leave. So it was less like I got "kicked out" and more like I got "rejected instantly." Which sucks, because I really wanted to go in and check out the stuff! It did, however, confirm something that I have known about myself for quite awhile, which is: I am a terrible liar.

There are, of course, much worse things to be than a bad liar. But it can really be a pain in the ass sometimes, like when I'm trying to con my way into an accessories show. I probably could have lied and said that I was a buyer, but I just don't have it in me. So I left. And I went shopping for some more jewelry supplies instead, which was good, because it needed to be done. Now I think I'm done with buying supplies for awhile! Or at least, I really hope I am....this stuff is getting expensive. The reason I keep blowing through supplies so quickly?

I've been working extra hard to build up my inventory in preparation for March. I realized that I need at least $5000 worth of inventory to open the location on Broadway, so that is a steep goal, which requires a ton of supplies. Because $5000 is really the minimum--more would be ideal. But I'm trying to be realistic, as well as optimistic. We will see how I do! On the left, you can see a little preview of some of the work I've been doing. It's pretty jumbled up in the picture, but none of the pieces have been shot either for Etsy or the lookbook yet, so I actually do not have any individual photos at this point. Some of this stuff won't make it to Etsy or to the lookbook--you'll just have to come visit me on Broadway to check it out! I'm also working on a couple larger, crazier "statement" pieces, several of which will certainly end up in the lookbook, and eventually, on Etsy. So I have my work cut out for me! I can't believe it's already Tuesday, and there's so much still to do.....

1 comment:

  1. Good luck in your exciting venture!! I know what you mean about supplies getting expensive!

    ReplyDelete