Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Ikea Field Trip!

Today I went to Ikea--there's one in Brooklyn that's surprisingly easy to get to via NYC public transportation. I live in the East Village, and it only took me a train and a bus (and 45 minutes) to get there. Which is not bad at all! The B61 bus pulls up right to the store entrance, too. To me, going to Ikea is a fun way to spend an afternoon--I tried to convince Nick to come with me, but he does not think going to Ikea is fun at all (even though I offered to buy him Swedish meatballs!!), which I also do understand. It's a massive store with tons to look at and choose from, 99% of which you don't want or need. But I love it! We needed some random things for the house--a new comforter cover for the bed, for example, because ours currently looks like a large shredded rag. I have also been on the lookout for a piece of furniture for my store, and I was able to find the perfect thing today for $40. Which is exactly why I love Ikea so much sometimes! It's not great for everything, but for some things, it's amazing.

One of my biggest Ikea guilty pleasures is their fake plants--and trust me, I realize that fake plants are totally a ridiculous thing to buy. They sell them for about $3 each, and I think they are awesome and really cute. Plus, I can't accidentally kill them, which is the best part. I love plants, but I really do suck at keeping them alive. We already have about three at the house that I bought a few years ago. And so as tempted as I was to get more, I knew Nick would think I was crazy, so I restrained myself. But I did take a picture of them! From a distance, they totally look real... Well, kind of :)

Coming home was definitely the worst part of the entire trip. The awesome furniture piece that I bought came in an awkwardly long box that weighed 50 lbs (I know, unfortunately, because the weight is written on the box--I probably shouldn't have looked until after I got home!). My motto when transporting heavy and/or unwieldy things is always that I will make it work somehow, and today was no exception. I realize that most people would maybe not attempt to drag a huge 50 lb. box home on a bus and then also on a train, along with two other giant bags of merchandise. But I'm just crazy enough to go for it, and it worked, although it was definitely not very much fun! I actually dropped the box at one point while going up two flights of some steep subway stairs in Brooklyn, but I finally wrestled it up and onto the platform. Thank god that there is an escalator at the Delancey St. F stop--I usually get off one stop later, but I remembered the escalator and managed to get off the train right in front of it. Otherwise, I might still be stuck in the subway holding that damn box! But I managed to take a cab home from Delancey, and Nick helped me carry all my crap into our house. When I bring it all to the store next week to set up, I will definitely be usiung our trusty grocery cart. Or I will just take a cab. No more hauling it across town!!! I was proud of myself today though--and glad that I managed to save the $100 Ikea delivery charge! Totally worth it. I will post pictures when it's all set up--it's going to look great!

No comments:

Post a Comment